Shelter in Place
When emergency conditions do not warrant or allow evacuation, the safest method to protect individuals may be to take shelter inside a campus building and await further instructions.
- Move indoors or remain indoors. Avoid windows and areas with glass.
- If available, take a radio or television to the room to track emergency status.
- Keep telephone lines free for emergency responders. Do not call 911 for information.
If hazardous materials are involved:
- Turn off all ventilation systems and close all outside air inlets.
- Select a room(s), which is easy to seal, and, if possible, has a water supply and access to restrooms.
- If you smell gas or vapor, hold a wet cloth loosely over your mouth and nose, and breathe through it in as normal a fashion as possible.