Rights and Responsibilities
TAMHSC students receiving financial aid have the right to:
- Accept or decline any of your financial aid award(s).
- Know what financial assistance is available, including all federal, state, and institutional aid programs.
- Know the procedures and deadlines for submitting applications for each financial aid program (including federal, state, and institutional aid programs).
- Know how your financial aid awards were calculated, the criteria to receive each award, and how the funds will be distributed or disbursed.
- Know the school policy on enrollment, attendance and good academic standing.
- Seek financial aid counseling.
- Know the consequences of defaulting on a student loan.
- Know that the information you give to the Student Financial Aid Office will be treated confidentially as mandated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Know information regarding a loan lender, interest rate, the total amount to be repaid, deferment options, repayment procedures, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when repayment begins.
- Submit a request to review extenuating circumstances, requesting reconsideration of your financial aid eligibility if you or your family’s financial conditions change.
- Submit an Academic Progress Appeal if you do not meet the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Know the TAMHSC refund and the Federal Return to Title IV policies.
TAMHSC students receiving financial aid are responsible for:
- Completing all applications and forms accurately and on-time.
- Re-applying for financial aid each year.
- Providing requested documentation and information to OSFA in a timely manner and keeping copies for your own records.
- Reading and understanding all materials sent to you from the TAMHSC Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Completing pre-loan counseling prior to receiving the first disbursement and exit counseling prior to graduation or leaving school.
- Repayment of all loans in accordance with the terms of your promissory note. You are responsible for notifying your lender if any of the following occurs before your loan is repaid: change of address, graduation, withdrawal from TAMHSC or less than half-time attendance, name change, or transfer to another institution.
- Requesting personal assistance if you have questions or don’t understand the information provided to you.
- Knowing the financial aid information provided to you on myHSC.
- Notifying the university of any name or address changes.
- Knowing and complying with the rules governing your financial aid awards.
- Compliance with TAMHSC policies on refunds and Federal Return to Title IV Aid should you withdraw from the university (either officially or unofficially).
- Notifying OSFA of any financial awards you receive from outside resources (including scholarships, grants, Veteran’s Benefits, tuition waivers, or other educational/tuition assistance) not already reported on your Financial Aid Award Notification or myHSC.
- Maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Using financial aid for educational expenses incurred while attending TAMHSC.
- Repayment of any over-award of financial aid.