Safe Handling Guidelines
Employees should treat all chemicals and equipment with caution and respect.
When working with chemicals, remember to do the following:
- Remove and use only the amount of chemicals needed for the immediate job at hand.
- Properly seal, label, and store chemicals in appropriate containers. Keep the containers clearly marked and in a well-ventilated area.
- Check stored chemicals for deterioration and broken containers.
- Learn how to dispose of chemicals safely and legally. Follow your components waste disposal requirements.
- Clean up spills and leaks immediately.
- Know what to do in an emergency.
Likewise, when working with chemicals, remember the following:
- Do not store chemicals near heat or sunlight or near substances which might initiate a dangerous reaction.
- Do not transport unprotected chemicals between the work area and other areas. Use a tray, rack, cart or rubber carrier. Always use a secondary container when transporting hazardous or highly odorous chemicals on an elevator.
- Do not pour hazardous chemicals down the sink.
- Do not put fellow workers or yourself in danger.