Go to content

Oct. 11, 2001

The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center

Minutes of the HSC Faculty Senate TTVN meeting

October 11, 2001

From 3:40 p.m. - 4:35 p.m.

Senators present: Robin Autenrieth, Dennis Bastron, Larry Bellinger, Sue Carozza, Robert Cederberg, Alicia Dorsey, John Gelderd, Marvin Hirsh, Dean Hudson, Geoffrey Kapler,, Jeana O,Brien, James Martin, George Martinez, Tom McKinney, Ed Miller, Lynne Opperman, Alan Parrish,  Tom Stanford, Carolyn Wilson, Dave Zawieja

Senators absent: Paul Brandt, Charlie Foulks, Paul Gershon, Fred Gimble, Frank Perez-Guerra, Gerald Meininger, Barbara Miller, Tom Peterson, Robert Probe, Marty Scholtz, Kishore Wary,

Guests present: None

Call to Order: After checking with all TTVN sites, it was determined that senators were present at all sites. Speaker Opperman called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m.

Confirmation of a quorum: It was determined that a quorum was present.

Approval of minutes: The minutes of the Faculty Senate meeting on held on September 13, 2001 were approved after the following corrections: Under CAFERRT elections, the statement referring to who can serve should say "tenured professor rather than full professor.  Also, Senator Ed Miller's suggestion of how the CAFERRT should be constituted was not made into a motion. 

Old Business:

CAFERRT: Speaker Opperman indicated that there are some wording changes on page 17 that did not get into the last version.  Changes included the time when elections will be held and when new electees will take their seats.  She will see that they get into the final version of the document and indicated that it is time for the document to go the general faculty for feedback.  Speaker Opperman mentioned that Senator Ed Miller said at the BCD Caucus meeting that there is an opportunity for education of the faculty regarding CAFERRT and to get support for faculty to serve on the committee.  He also suggested that each Caucus leader send an electronic copy to their faculty with a brief explanation of what CAFERRT is and that the faculty should be considering whom they would nominate to serve on the committee.   Senator Ed Miller suggested that there should be an HSC election for members to serve on a Tenure Mediation Committee and then asked "do we want to have an HSC-wide election or an election within each component for their 3 representatives?"  Senator Miller also indicated concern about voting in an HSC-wide election for someone that he does not know.  Senator Autenrieth mentioned that since members of the CAFERRT will be considering serious matters relating to a faculty member, they must be impartial and should submit a personal statement of their views and philosophy when their name is placed in nomination.  She compared this with candidates for a national office who would submit a resume and platform for consideration.  Senator Ed Miller agreed, especially if the HSC were basically in one location.  He indicated that in his interpretation of the document, the Tenure Mediation Committee in on a component by component basis.  There appears to be a discrepancy between the wording in section 9.2.1 and section 9.4.1 in that the Tenure Mediation Committee will be selected in one manner and the members of CAFERRT would be selected in a different manner.  Several senators stated that   there should be consistency in how these two groups are selected.  Senator Dorsey expressed her feeling that the number of people willing to serve on the committees will probably be the number that each component would elect individually and that an HSC-wide election would just be confirming what each component would have elected.  Senator Bastron proposed a motion to change the wording of 9.4.1 to be consistent with that in 9.2.1.  The motion passed unanimously.  Speaker Opperman will give the changes to Senator Bellinger to insert into the document.  The Caucus leaders will send the document to their faculty.  Senator Dorsey asked "what is the purpose of sending it out?  Is this for another review, or is it a done deal?"  Speaker Opperman replied that it is a done deal, but just like all other documents, it is a work in progress.  The document can be modified in the future if faculty make good suggestions for changes.

Post Tenure Document: Speaker Opperman reported that the document now includes all appendices.  Senator Dorsey had made a request in the Executive Committee meeting that the document be sent to faculty for their input, and then the Senate can vote on it at the November meeting after having almost a month to read and discuss it.  Each Caucus should take the document to their faculty, explain what it is, how it was drafted, and solicit input.  Speaker Opperman strongly recommended that the Caucus leaders have a meeting with their faculty to discuss the document and bring any suggestions to the November Senate meeting.                  

Senate Elections: COM will elect 2 new senators (2/3 will be "given" the opportunity to stay on).  COM will remain at 6 senators, BCD will remain the same as before.  Senator Dorsey indicated that SRPH representation will change if the effective date is at the end of September rather than September 1.  The Bylaws state September, not September 1.  There was no objection to making the effective date September 30.  As a result, SRPH will have an additional senator.  Senator Parrish will be the point person responsible for the slate of nominees.  Senator Stanford inquired about who will vote in the GSBS faculty election.  Speaker Opperman indicated that it would be just the GSBS faculty.  Senator Kapler was asked by Speaker Opperman to get nominees for the GSBS senate election.

Replacement for Marnie Rhoads: Speaker Opperman indicated that it had been decided in the Executive Committee meeting to postpone requesting new secretarial help until the new HSC President is in place and the new Senate has convened in January.  Officers of the Senate may likely change and if the Secretary/Treasurer changes to a different component, help might be requested from that component.

Voting on Bylaws Change: Speaker Opperman reminded those present that the suggested Bylaws change was: election information will not be sent to the Secretary/Treasurer, but to the Caucus leaders of each component. The vote for the change was unanimous.         

New Business:

Faculty Manual: Speaker Opperman asked if all components had received a copy of the manual.  There were no questions or comments regarding the manual.


Location of January Quarterly Meeting: Senator Dorsey indicated that SRPH has two problems relative to hosting the quarterly meeting: no space and no money.  After some "lively" discussion about the plight of SRPH space and money, it was suggested by Senator Gelderd that the meeting be at the IBT and in the meantime, SRPH would have time to "get their act together".  All appeared to be in agreement.  Senator Martin indicated that the IBT could arrange to host the meeting.  The meeting will be on January 10, 2002.  The Executive Committee meeting will have to change to January 8, 2002.  Discussion continued relative to how the change in leadership of the Senate will occur.  It was suggested that all of nominations for the Executive positions should be gathered by the time of the December meeting, then the nominations would  be distributed to the Senate, and the vote would occur at the January meeting.  However, it was pointed out that the new Senators who were elected in November will not be at the December meeting.  Another suggestion was made to include the new Senators in the December meeting so they can become familiar with the Senate proceedings, meet other Senators, and discuss nominations for the Senate offices.  Senator Zawieja read the Bylaws regarding election of Senate officers which states that the new officers will be elected at the January meeting and take office at the February meeting.  After discussion, it was decided to offer an invitation to the new senators to attend the December meeting and if they desire to seek office, they can submit their biographical sketch to the Senate either in person or to another Senator.     

Committee of the Whole: Senator Bellinger reported that BCD Librarian Cindy Scroggins had told him that the Chancellor had turned down the request to computerize library journal collections.  They are trying to regroup and might need a letter from the Senate of its support.  There would be no continuing support for this project from the System administration.  Speaker Opperman asked if Dr. Jim West could be approached about using some of the "tobacco money" for this purpose.  It was recommended that the Senate make the request.  Senator Ed Miller asked how much money is involved in this endeavor.  The response was that it is probably hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Discussion occurred about how much time is required to obtain copies of articles from the library currently.   One Senator indicated there was no real problem in getting them within 24 to 48 hours. However, another Senator suggested that the immediacy of getting them on your own computer versus waiting days can be a significant problem.  It was also pointed out that the pride of a university should be its library.  The question was raised about whether the librarians had a budget and if so, was it known.  Senator Bellinger said that they had one but he did not know how much it was.  Senator Dorsey reminded the Senate that one important factor, and possibly the most important factor that SACS will look at in their accreditation process is library facilities.  Discussion occurred about to whom a letter from the Senate should be sent.  It was decided that the letter should be sent to the Interim HSC President regarding the importance of appropriate library facilities and that resources should be provided for them.  Speaker Opperman asked Senator Bellinger to draft a letter to Dr. Cole regarding the library issue.

Speaker Opperman discussed the literature previously sent out regarding Technology Mediated Instruction.  She mentioned issues such as rights protection, who actually owns the material, what are guest lecturers' rights, etc.  Any questions of ownership would be determined by the component Dean.  Any faculty feedback on the document should be sent to Kay Mizer.  Senator O'Brien mentioned that Scott & White has some kind of document that may address these kinds of issues.  Speaker Opperman asked in whose office would problems of this nature reside.  The apparent answer is the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the HSC level.  There was no response to a question of whether this should be a line item on the agenda for the November meeting.     

Adjournment:

A motion for adjournment was made, all seemed to be in agreement, and the meeting adjourned at 4:35 p.m.

Respectfully,

Tom McKinney

Secretary/Treasurer

HSC Faculty Senate